Nychuk & Company lawyers practice law all across Saskatchewan including in: Regina, Saskatoon, Estevan, Moosomin, Indian Head, Broadview, Swift Current, Weyburn, Carlyle, Carnduff, Yorkton, Melville, Assiniboia, Maple Creek, Davidson, Wattress, Strasbourg, Southey, Punnichy, Wynyard and Wadena. While the firm is located in Regina, all of our lawyers are well equipped to serve you anywhere in the province.

When you are convicted of a criminal offence in Canada there are number of possible sentences available depending on what you are found guilty of the and the aggravating and mitigating factors that surrounded your conviction.

Anytime you interact with the police there is a possibility that your information will be stored in a police data bases and could show up in a criminal record check as a non-conviction.

Many people worry that if they do not talk to the police or allow them to search their vehicle it will make them look guilty. This is simply not the case. The police can only use what you say against you and never what you don’t say.

Are you eligible to have your Criminal Record suspended? This blog will explore what a record suspension does, when you can apply for one and how exactly to go about doing it.

This is an introduction into the purpose of questioning in a civil suit and what you should and shouldn’t do when you’re the one being questioned.


Your relationship has ended, and you have minor children.  You may be wondering, “how am I supposed to find out about what should be paid for child support?”  The answer to your question may be as simple as using your smartphone.

In order to calculate child support, the first thing to determine is the residence of your child.  If a child resides primarily with one parent (more than 60% of the time), the other parent will need to pay child support.  If a child resides roughly equal time with both parents (at least 40% of the time), there may or may not be a child support amount payable.


Child support in Canada is determined in consultation with The Federal Child Support Guidelines.  Section 3 of the Guidelines states that the amount payable is based on the tables.  This is known as the ‘table amount’ or ‘base amount’ of support.  This is because it is determined with reference to the tables for child support.

set out the base child support amount payable for parent.  The Guidelines list the amount.  The amount in the guidelines is based on the payor’s income


  1. Go to the Canadian Child Support Calculator 
  2. Enter in your details:
    • The paying parent’s income
    • The paying parent’s residence
    • How many children
    • Click ‘enter’, viola! You have a child support amount.
  1. The support payable amount:

In a situation with a child residing primarily with one parent, the input of the paying parent’s income should provide you with the base amount of child support that is payable.  In a situation with a child residing roughly equally with both parents, the court will often look at what each parent’s obligation would be and order the parent with the higher amount to pay the difference. This is known as ‘the set-off’.  For example, if one parent would owe $1,000, and the other parent would owe $700, the parent with the higher income would pay the difference: $300.


 Every situation is unique and it can sometimes help to have an experienced legal professional to explain your circumstances to the Court. Some situations where a lawyer might make your life a lot easier are:

    • When you are self-employed
    • Where you own a corporation
    • Where your financial situation is unpredictable
    • If you think you are paying too much in child support
    • If you think you are not being paid enough in child support
    • If you and your child’s other parent disagree on what expenses are to be shared
    • If you think you are not being provided accurate information about the other parents income or expenses


  • The child support calculator is easy to use and can give you a breakdown
  • There are limitations
  • In more complex situation, you may need to hire a professional

Questions?  Give us Call! Our dedicated family team solves family matters large or small.  We are happy to help you.

A step by step guide showing what happens after you get arrested, when you are charged and the different ways your case will move through the Court system.

Almost any type of family law or civil dispute can be resolved using arbitration, and it can be a faster, less expensive alternative to Court.